The club was formed in 1954 with Les Baldwin MBE (b1932-2014) as one of the founding members. Les married Jean in 1956 and subsequently Jean became club chairman. The club competed in cross country and track & field, and had a team in the first ever North Wales XC League match on 18th October 1958 at RAF Valley. In April 1959 the club competed in an inter club match with Shrewsbury, Oswestry and East Shropshire. From the earliest days the club was also prepared to travel to road races in the Liverpool and Manchester areas.